Become a Home Based Educator
Join our network of passionate people caring for the future of our next generations.
A Home Based Educator is someone who cares for 1–4 children in their own home. They provide a nurturing care environment while also stimulating individual children’s learning and curiosity.
We’d love you to join us as a Home Based Educator if you have:
- A desire to nurture, inspire and support children's growth.
- An aspiration to learn about, recognise and create teachable moments.
- Experience with children.
- A home and personal background that meet our robust health and safety requirements.
- A commitment to lifelong learning for yourself and the children you will work with.
- The ability to connect with parents as partners in their child’s learning.
As a Home Based Educator, your day might involve:
- Welcoming the children and supporting them to develop their independence as they separate from their parents.
- Exploring the outdoors, such as in your garden or via an excursion to a local park – a great opportunity for a discussion about nature and for children to investigate and be curious about the outdoors.
- Kai time – a time for children to be empowered to wash their hands, eat their snack and engage in conversation with you and their friends.
- Heading out into the local community e.g. a playgroup, library or another educator’s home.
- Returning home for rest or quiet time.
- Opportunities for children to engage in experiences they show interest in exploring. This could include baking (if children are interested in science) or water play (which supports the early maths skills of pouring and measuring). Or perhaps reading or choosing books that they like, painting or engaging in other creative play.
- Capturing some photographs and videos as they share what they enjoy about the experiences or what they know. You can then upload these to Storypark so their parents can enjoy those moments too.
The possibilities are endless! The only limit is your creativity. The children in your care will love you for giving them a home-away-from-home and wonderful learning experiences. Barnardos Visiting Teachers will support you to weave together a curriculum (your whāriki) within your home using Te Whāriki - the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum. You will be supported to develop the skills needed to ensure children are able to confidently and competently move into their next learning environments.
Support and growth
Your career as a Home Based educator will be supported by other passionate and professional people, resources and opportunities.
- You’ll have monthly visits from a Barnardos Visiting Teacher. They will mentor you to develop the skills and knowledge needed to plan for and document children’s learning, provide you with educational resources and guide you to weave together and implement Te Whāriki – the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum.
- We’ll also add you to our exclusive Facebook group for Barnardos educators and teachers across NZ. The group will have a professional community vibe where everyone shares learnings, experiences and ideas.
- We will support you to study for the Open Polytechnic Early Childhood Certificate Level 4 at no cost to you.