Now is the time to join Barnardos Early Learning
We’re on the lookout for passionate people who truly want to make a difference to the future of tamariki.
In return, we can offer you a culture of professional growth, teamwork and trust. We get behind our team and help them realise their full potential every day.
Barnardos Early Learning is on a mission – to help all our tamariki shine bright through quality early learning. If you share that vision and want to find your perfect early learning job, we’d love to hear from you.
Careers at Barnardos Early Learning
Early childhood teachers
We have over 40 years experience in Early Learning. We are proudly a not-for-profit organisation investing any surplus funds into our teachers, staff and other services.
Come on board with us to enjoy:
- The chance to make a difference – you’ll be empowered and well-resourced, so you can genuinely inspire children to excellent and equitable outcomes from within a not-for-profit who invests in NZ communities.
- Warm, open culture – we hold a strong and continuous focus on quality for you, the tamariki and whanau we serve - striving to be one big welcoming family
- Continuing professional development – four hours per week professional time, internal learning and development opportunities and ongoing appraisals to support Teacher Certification in accordance with the Education Council
- Large network of expert support – the wider Barnardos organisation and our community of 24 centres give us the platform to collaborate, motivate and inspire one another to continually improve. We support you to do this with a team of managers, administrators, practice advisers, visiting teachers, early learning consultants and operational leaders.
- Peer and mentor learning opportunities – be mentored by qualified and experienced practitioners, engage in tailored professional development and be part of our network of teachers across Aotearoa.
- Career development opportunities – clear pathways for career development and the opportunity to expand into other areas of interest.
- Added benefits – as a Barnardos employee, you will gain access to a range of benefits such as discounted childcare and insurances, access to a health and wellbeing program and subsidised flu vaccination each year.
Become a home based educator
Join our network of passionate people caring for the future of our next generations.
A Home Based educator is someone who cares for 1-4 children in their own home. They provide a nurturing care environment while also stimulating individual children’s learning and curiosity.
We’d love you to join us as a Home Based educator if you have:
- a desire to nurture, inspire and support childrens growth
- an aspiration to learn about, recognise and create teachable moments
- experience with children
- a home and personal background that meet our robust health and safety requirements
- a commitment to lifelong learning for yourself and the children you will work with
- the ability to connect with parents as partners in their child’s learning
As a Home Based educator, your day might involve:
- Welcoming the children and supporting them to develop their independence as they separate from their parents
- Exploring the outdoors, such as in your garden or via an excursion to a local park – a great opportunity for a discussion about nature and for children to investigate and be curious about the outdoors.
- Kai time – a time for children to be empowered to wash their hands, eat their snack and engage in conversation with you and their friends.
- Heading out into the local community e.g. a playgroup, library or another educator’s home.
- Returning home for rest or quiet time.
- Opportunities for children to engage in experiences they show interest in exploring. This could include baking (if children are interested in science) or water play (which supports the early maths skills of pouring and measuring). Or perhaps reading or choosing books that they like, painting or engaging in other creative play.
- Capturing some photographs and videos as they share what they enjoy about the experiences or what they know. You can then upload these to Storypark so their parents can enjoy those moments too.
The possibilities are endless! The only limit is your creativity. The children in your care will love you for giving them a home-away-from-home and wonderful learning experiences. Barnardos Visiting Teachers will support you to weave together a curriculum (your whāriki) within your home using Te Whāriki - the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum. You will be supported to develop the skills needed to ensure children are able to confidently and competently move into their next learning environments.
Support and growth
Your career as a Home Based educator will be supported by other passionate and professional people, resources and opportunities.
- You’ll have monthly visits from a Barnardos Visiting Teacher. They will mentor you to develop the skills and knowledge needed to plan for and document children’s learning, provide you with educational resources and guide you to weave together and implement Te Whāriki – the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum
- We’ll also add you to our soon-to-launch exclusive Facebook group for Barnardos educators and teachers across NZ. The group will have a professional community vibe where everyone shares learnings, experiences and ideas
- We will support you to study for the Open Polytechnic Early Childhood Certificate Level 4 at no cost to you
Home Based educators are an essential part of the Barnardos Early Learning family. We can't wait for you to join us!
Visit our Barnardos website to view more info on role requirements and application